Collins Wharf Sod .com
We are a family-owned
farm for four generations on the Eastern Shore of Maryland.
Collins Wharf Sod Farm is an established turf grass business
with roots that run deep. The farming operation started in 1921
when Arlington and Olive Moore purchased a small farm at a
steamboat landing named Collins' Wharf along the Wicomico River
on the Eastern Shore. Arlington and Olive maintained their
purchase through the depression years by raising many types of
vegetables, fishing and trapping. They sold eggs, chickens, and
butter. The holly wreaths they made in the winter months brought
in some additional income. The farm prospered and in 1946 Fred
Moore, Sr., joined the operation and expanded it to
approximately two hundred acres growing grains and vegetables.
Starting in the mid 60's with the help of his wife Connie, and
sons Fred Jr. and Scott, it increased to eight hundred acres.
In the mid 70's, Fred Sr. and Fred Jr. formed a partnership and
the farm grew to eighteen hundred acres. In 1999 with Eddie,
Fred Jr.'s son, joining the operation, beginning the production
and sale of sod. Starting with thirty acres of fescue, thirty
acres bluegrass, and six acres of bentgrass. The remaining
fourteen hundred acres was planted in grains and vegetables.
Now today we have expanded to 500 acres of tall fescue,
bluegrass, bentgrass, and bermudagrass. We are dedicated to
carry on the hard work and honest business practices that began
87 years ago.
This restored 1926
Chevrolet farm truck symbolizes the Collins Wharf drive to
perfection. It has won several national awards for restored
Fred Sr. and Eddie
Fred Jr. and Eddie starting a restored 1920's era lawnmower
and Jackson Thomas